One of the features on my website, I display selected news items and blog entries on a widget on the Sapience page (the widget on the far left with heading “Other IT news”) . The news and blogs are linked to different webpages, they do not reside on my website.
I did the following steps to achieve this:
- I subscribed to RSS feeds from websites into Google Reader
- In Google Reader, I go to the news item and click on “Share”. This will allow the webpage/ news item to be shared with other people
- You can see all your Shared items by clicking the “Shared Items” on the navigation bar to the left.
- Select the “Shared Settings” on the navigation panel. At the bottom of the settings, you will find a link “Add a clip”.
- Configure the settings on the pop-up screen.
- Copy the HTML code at the bottom of the next screen.
- In the WordPress Widget area, drag the “Text” widget to the widget area you want the news to show up.
- In the Text area, paste the HTML code from Google Reader and click “save”.
- You will see shared items from your Google Reader on your website.
The limitations I found with this method:
- the shared item will show as “shared” till you unshare it on Google Reader; which has to be done manually. It would be good to have a expiry date to shared items.
- the widget does not scroll – it shows a static number of shared items. If you want to view the rest, you have to click on “View all”. It would be good if the widget could scroll through all shared items, 5 at a time